Taking care of your vehicle is the best way to keep it functioning for a long period of time, and one of the highest contributing factors of vehicle damage is the weather. The sun is a very powerful thing, and by the time summer rolls around it is really important to do your best to protect your car from too many rays.
Here are some of the best things that you can do to keep your car from deteriorating early due to the sun.
- In order to prevent the sunlight from ruining the inside of your car, it is essential that you find ways to keep the vehicle itself out of the sun on a daily basis. The best way to do that is to use a windshield cover that folds up and can be stored somewhere else in the car, normally in the back seat. Typically, only a cover for the front windshield is necessary, however they do make some for the backside as well.
- The second thing that you can do to protect your car is to purchase covers that will prevent direct sunlight from contacting your dashboard. While a vehicle is sitting still, the dashboard is the location that is most likely to be susceptible for being in the sun for long periods of time. Some of the best material options to get for dashboard covers are leather and vinyl, as they do absorb heat but will stop the sun from fading the inside of your car or cracking it.
- Tinted windows are another feature that can be added to a car to reduce the amount of heat going into a vehicle. The prices range from place to place where you can get this done, however you may find that it is a worthwhile venture overall. The tints on the windows provide some shade for the inside, and most of them offer UV protection features that can also reduce the amount of heat that gets in your vehicle. This can do wonders for the upholstery, and it can prevent cracking and fading as well.
- Sometimes the best solutions are the most obvious ones. If you are not able to afford getting tinted windows, it is a good idea to consciously park in the shade. Whenever it’s possible, find a spot where there is a big tree or indoor parking to leave your vehicle. In addition to that, there are more and more parking garages being built around in cities and towns that will be able to give your car the kind of cover that it needs.
- Another thing that comes along with the hot summer weather is condensation and evaporation. It is important to pay close attention to the water levels inside your car. The reason for this is because the heat can cause the water inside the car to evaporate, and it can also make the fluid inside the battery evaporate as well. This is why it is especially important for states that get a lot of heat in the summer, like Arizona, Texas, and New Mexico to monitor their car batteries as they tend to not last as long in that region of the United States.
- Also keeping a check on your coolant levels is important when it comes to helping your car out in the summer. Your vehicle needs to be topped off at all times, and this is easily taken care of by popping open the hood and finding the coolant container. Just make sure you wait at least an hour or so after the car is stopped before adding any more coolant to your car because it needs that time to cool down.
Written by Marc Laferierre, owner of Dents Unlimited. Dents Unlimited has the best auto repair Columbia MO has to offer, where their expert staff can get your car back on the road in no time.