Renting a car can be expensive, but there are a number of ways that you can cut down on the costs. If you want to get the best deal, though, you’re going to have to know which expenses are unavoidable, and which fees you can have waived. If you’re new to this whole thing, here are five ways to get the best deal when renting a car.
- Know which features you do and don’t need. When it comes down to it, everyone has certain features that they need to have, and others that they are willing to forgo. For example, if you’re not particularly concerned with having a large car, or amenities like automatic windows and locks, then you can save a lot of money by letting these things go. Just let the rental company know that you’re going for the least number of frills.
- Reserve your car well ahead of time. The truth is, once you know you will need arental car, you’re going to want to make your reservation. The closer you get to the dates that you will need the car, the more expensive the daily rate is going to be. So make sure that you make your reservation as early as possible if you want to the lowest rate.
- Know what your personal insurance will and won’t cover. If it’s been a while since you’ve taken a look at the particulars of your own car insurance coverage, you may want to look back into it. A lot of times people will pay the extra fee for insurance on their rental, without realizing that those potential damages are already covered by their personal car insurance plan. So, make sure you’re not paying for the same insurance twice.
- Fill up the gas yourself. Whether you rent your car fromFlorida Van Lines, or any other rental company, you’re going to want to check the gas level immediately when you start the car. If the tank is half full when you pick up the car, you’re going to want the tank to be half full when you return it. If you don’t return the car to the same gas level, the rental company will charge you for the difference, only they usually charge you much more per gallon then you would pay if you filled it up yourself.
- Look for discounts where you can find them. Whenever you rent a car, you’re not only going to want to look online to see which companies offer the cheapest rates, but you’re going to want to see if there are any ways that you can get a discount. If you are a senior, you may get a discount if you belong to any groups like AARP. If you’re a AAA member, you may get a discount through them. If it’s not indicated online, it’s always worth asking in person or over the phone.